The long-term goal of the ACCN is to contribute to the reduction of cancer health disparities in Appalachia by developing, implementing, and evaluating community-based participatory research projects. The specific aims of the ACCN are to:
- Build on a foundation established by previous successful community-based participatory interactions and develop, expand, and maintain community partnerships to facilitate research and action to reduce cancer health disparities;
- Conduct community-based participatory research to address cancer health disparities in Appalachia, including a controlled intervention project and a pilot educational research project;
- Develop and implement a training program in CBPR for junior investigators and postdoctoral scholars;
- Disseminate research findings to community and scientific partners; and
- Evaluate the ACCN, including its research projects, attention to processes, short term impact, and achievement of outcomes.